Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Quarter Year Crisis

I am about 1/4 of the way into my thru-the-Bible-in-a-year plan, and I have gotten lazy.  The first few months I had a routine, and the Bible stories were cool--then Leviticus happened :) First, I got behind in the old testament readings and then in the new testament readings.  After almost 3 weeks I was drowning.

I don't have any good excuses.  I work at a church and am paid to study the Bible (among other things), so excuses for finding time are difficult to come up with.  In fact it is quite humbling and embarrassing to post this to the handful of people that will read it.  But my hope is that perhaps someone else out there is having a quarter year crisis with their New Year's resolution, and perhaps we can both overcome.

I have not given up.  I have read through both Numbers and Deuteronomy in the last couple days.  I am not going to fail at this, and the reason is not necessarily spiritual--in fact it may be downright sinful--my pride.  You see I am a part of this group at my church and we are all reading the Bible together and discussing it week by week.  I have not been able to participate over the last few weeks, and I think they are assuming that I am still on track with them, so my pride is forcing me to get back on track before we meet again.  Perhaps its not pride . . . perhaps it is the power of community . . . whatever it is I am signing off to start reading a big chunk of the gospels, and I think that is a pretty good thing.

Regular posting will commence again soon . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment