Saturday, April 14, 2012

Big Chunks

As I mentioned in my last post, I am behind in my Bible reading.  In an effort to catch up I recently read through Numbers and Deuteronomy.  Prior to starting this long haul of 70 chapters, I was dreading it.  Both books recount Israel's time wandering in the dessert listening to the laws of God repeated over and over again.  However, once I started into it, I really did enjoy it.  It is a little repetitive at times, and it does talk a lot about strange laws and customs that seem irrelevant.  But I loved watching the character of Moses develop.  I enjoyed immersing myself in a distant time and a peculiar culture.  I was enthralled by the story of Balaam.  But most of all I was captivated by God--who consistently disturbed me by shattering my preconceived notions of who he was (and is) and how he should act.  It is this final point that I would like to focus on.

Deuteronomy 4:31, "For the Lord your God is a merciful God. He will not leave you or destroy you or forget the covenant with your fathers that he swore to them."

Deuteronomy 20:16-17, "But in the cities of these peoples that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance, you shall save alive nothing that breathes, but you shall devote them to complete destruction."

2 strikingly different pictures of God.

The 2 passages listed above are but a microcosm of these 70 chapters (and beyond). I think if I had read through Numbers and Deuteronomy in smaller chunks, I may have stopped on one of these verses and either fell in love with God's mercy or become angry at God's command.   As I read through the 2 books I was constantly vacillating between appreciation for God's provision and just plain outrage at God's commands.  But the beauty in reading scripture in such large chunks is you gain a better handle on the big picture.  You don't get as hung up on the details, but instead you focus on the greater narrative taking place.  You see that God is keeping his promises and faithfully protecting and preserving his people.
Honestly at times I don't like how God chooses to protect and preserve, but the greater narrative also illustrates that humanity is created, God is eternal; humanity is weak, God is all-powerful; humanity is sinful, God is holy; humanity is unfaithful, God is faithful; humanity is just that--human, and God is just that--God.  So at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if I like how God chooses to work in humanity, because I am his creation, weak, sinful, unfaithful, and human.  He is the creator, all-powerful, holy, faithful, and most importantly God.

Read scripture in big chunks--it helps you focus on the big picture, which is a merciful, holy God keeping his promise to a fickle, sinful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment