Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Lily Rose

Originally my plan for this blog was to update it weekly on Mondays, and here we are the second week into my new year's resolution and I am late--Oh well, life happens (literally).  On Saturday evening 1/15/2011 my daughter, Lily Rose Glidden was born.

This evening I have been thinking of Psalm 139--particularly verses 13-14:
13 For you created my inmost being; 
   you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; 
   your works are wonderful, 
   I know that full well.

Tonight I slowly peck away at the keys with one hand as my 3 day old daughter lies peacefully in the other.  As our eyes meet I can't help but be overcome with gratitude to the One who created my daughter's inmost being.  I sit here in wonder thinking of the God of the universe knitting together Lily Rose.  

The image of God as a knitter is not one I dwell on much.  Knitting seems reserved for widows and grandmothers, not The Alpha and Omega.  It seems like he would have more important things going on in all of eternity to tend to.  But maybe we would all benefit from meditating on the great knitter in the sky.  A weever dedicated to each garment--he weaves together the perfect combination of skin tones, body parts, hair color, boldness, innocence, sensitivity, and individuality.  He works slowly and methodically leaving a little bit of himself in each of his creations.  He is a perfectionist; he cuts no corners, and he takes great pride as he sets each of his precious creations free into a fallen world.  

Lily Rose is his creation and he has set her free into my care, and I praise him because my daughter is fearfully and wonderfully made.  His work is wonderful . . . I know that full well . . . full well.

2 comments:

  1. Appreciated, enjoyed and agreed with your latest blog! Brought tears to our eyes to realize the greatness and goodness of our God, and thankfulness for such a great son (and grandbaby!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for making me cry! You penned those truths so well. Grateful, Shay

    ReplyDelete