Thursday, April 19, 2012

Psalm 52

Psalm 52
(To our culture, Hollywood, the music industry, and those that buy into their lies.)

1 Why do you boast of evil, you mighty hero?
   Why do you boast all day long,
   you who are a disgrace in the eyes of God?
2 You who practice deceit,
   your tongue plots destruction;
   it is like a sharpened razor.
3 You love evil rather than good,
   falsehood rather than speaking the truth.
4 You love every harmful word,
   you deceitful tongue!

(The fate of everyone apart from God's grace)
 5 Surely God will bring you down to everlasting ruin:
   He will snatch you up and pluck you from your tent;
   he will uproot you from the land of the living. 

(Don't forget what it says in Psalm 14:2-3
 2 The LORD looks down from heaven
   on all mankind
   to see if there are any who understand,
   any who seek God.
3 All have turned away, all have become corrupt;
   there is no one who does good, 
   not even one.
So the righteousness that the author is about to refer to here is not found in mankind.  There is none in humankind that is righteous apart from God's grace.)
6 The righteous will see and fear;
   they will laugh at you, saying,
7 “Here now is the man
   who did not make God his stronghold
   but trusted in his great wealth
   and grew strong by destroying others!”

(If trusting in wealth and growing strong by destroying others is the description of the one who will be brought to everlasting ruin (v5), then we Americans had better watch out.)
 8 But I am like an olive tree
   flourishing in the house of God;
   I trust in God’s unfailing love
   for ever and ever.
9 For what you have done I will always praise you
   in the presence of your faithful people.
   And I will hope in your name,
   for your name is good.

(I want verses 8-9 to be true of me.  I want to trust in God's unfailing love.  I want to praise God with other faithful Christians.  I want my hope to be in Him and His goodness.)

No comments:

Post a Comment