Saturday, January 28, 2012

Psalm 13

1 How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?
3 Consider and answer me, O LORD my God;
light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,
4 lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,”
lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken.
5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the LORD,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.


As David opens this Psalm he is feeling abandoned by God, but by the end he is focused on God's goodness.  How does he get there?  He goes from feelings of abandonment, to calling out to God for help, and finally to remembering his faith in God's steadfast love.  It is almost like he is saying, life sucks right now.  Help me.  But regardless I have decided to trust in God. He has always been good to me.  In the midst of the hard times he remembers his faith and chooses hope rather than despair.  In the present he does not sense God's presence nor help, but he remembers it in the past and he hopes for it again in the future.  Often in life our troubles pile up and we lose site of God.  We ask for his help.  We get no answer.  David models for us the proper response in those times.  Lean heavy on your faith--choose hope--and remember God's past goodness.

Like David, may I get through my worst of times based on my past decision of faith, my future hope in salvation, and my present remembrance of past blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment