Monday, January 9, 2012

Matthew 1-3

Matthew 1-3 opens with the genealogy of Jesus through his earthly father Joseph, covers Jesus' birth, early years, and concludes with John the Baptist baptizing Jesus in the Jordan River.

There are 6 fulfilled prophecies in these chapters--virgin birth, birth in Bethlehem, time in Egypt, Herod's decree to murder the all the babies in the region of Bethlehem, Jesus' home in Nazareth, and the ministry of John the Baptist.  The first book of the New Testament opens with example after example of how all that was written before was pointing to Jesus.  Perhaps these prophecies seemed contradictory or irrelevant to the original hearers, but as I read them now they fill me with confidence in the God of the Scriptures.

God has a plan.  I have the privilege of seeing how that plan has worked out through the stories of the Bible, but His plan is still being worked out in my life.  Often times I fail to trust God as I should.  It is in those times that I need to be reminded of God's trustworthiness as demonstrated through the fulfilled prophecies of Matthew 1-3.

No comments:

Post a Comment