Saturday, January 14, 2012

Genesis 1-17

Genesis 1-17 covers the stories of the creation, the fall, the flood, and the promises and life of Abraham.  In those stories over and over again characters are responding in faith to the promise of God.  Adam believes in the promise that through an offspring of the woman God will send One who will destroy the curse--he demonstrates that faith by naming the woman "Eve" because she was to be the mother of all living.  Abel offered the firstborn from his flock in faith (Hebrews 11:4).  Noah believed God's promise about the coming flood and built an ark.  Abram believed God's promise and moved his entire life to a land that God would show him (Gen 11).  Hagar believed God's promise about her son and returned to Abram's household.  I think there is a pattern of faith in the promise of God throughout Genesis 1-17.

I think the boldest example of faith in the promise of God comes in Genesis 17.  God re-confirms his oft-repeated promise that he would bless Abraham and his descendants.  However, there is still one glaring oversight . . . Abraham is now 99 years old and has no son.  So what does God tell him to do?  God tells him to be circumcised and to circumcise all the men in his family from now on.  Abraham says, "I am 99 years old.  My wife is 90.  We have been waiting for years on your promise of a son, and now you want me to snip off the tip of my baby-maker?!" (my paraphrase).  Genesis 17:24, (no paraphrase here) "Abraham was 99 years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin." I can think of few greater displays of faith.

Abraham's faith is bold, illogical, painful, and counter-cultural.  It is easy for me to say that I want the same type of faith in my life, but . . . wow, 99 years old . . . wow. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment