Thursday, May 3, 2012

weakness

I just finished reading I Corinthians from beginning to end in one sitting.  Paul instructs the church at Corinth in many different topics ranging from the role of women in church to spiritual gifts to the resurrection of Jesus.  But at the beginning and the end of his letter Paul highlights the contrast that defines God's work in this world--In 1:27 he states that God uses the weak to shame the strong, and in 15:43 that what is sown in weakness is raised in power.

God is in the business of using our weaknesses to shame the strong and to demonstrate HIS power.

So as you read through I Corinthians and see the issues present in that church--divisions, sexual immorality, lawsuits, broken marriages, cultural clashes, idolatry, inappropriate use of the Lord's table, misunderstandings about spiritual gifts, disorderly services, etc.--one can't help but wonder if the Corinthian christians felt pretty weak by the end of the letter.  I imagine they read it and thought, "wow, we have a lot of work to do!"

As I look at the status of the American church today, I can't help but think, "wow, we have a lot of work to do!" But recognizing our weakness is a good first step, because God is in the business of using our weaknesses to shame the strong and demonstrate HIS power.

As I look at my life, I know that I have a lot of work to do.  I know that I am weak, but I also know that my weakness can be raised in power.

No comments:

Post a Comment