Wednesday, May 16, 2012

a verse for the celebrity apprentice

I Samuel 2:1-3
"And Hannah prayed and said,
'My heart exults in the Lord;
my strength is exalted in the Lord.
My mouth derides my enemies,
because I rejoice in your salvation.
There is none holy like the Lord;
there is none besides you;
there is no rock like our God.
Talk no more so very proudly,
let not arrogance come from your mouth;
for the Lord is a God of knowledge,
and by him actions are weighed.'"


Talk no more so very proudly,
let not arrogance come from your mouth.

I have been watching the Celebrity Apprentice this season.  It has been fun to watch a bunch of has-been / wanna-be celebrities compete to win money for charities.  However, it has been frustrating to listen to a bunch of self-obsessed failures drone on and on and on and on and on about how wonderful they are.  Maybe a handful of the contestants are talented, maybe the majority of them were simply in the right place at the right time to rise to their D-level of stardom--whichever the case each week I find myself shouting at the tv--"shut-up already! How arrogant can you be?!"

So, it was refreshing this morning to read these verses from I Samuel, and be reminded of how beautiful humility is.  The Bible is a story of salvation--it's a story of how we need salvation--it's a story of God's strength and our weakness.  He is our rock and by Him actions are weighed.

When either option is modeled for me--Godly humility vs celebrity arrogance--I am far more attracted to the humility of Hannah than the arrogance of Aubrey (or as I call her, "the red head").

No comments:

Post a Comment