Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What must I do to be saved

As I work my way through the book of Acts, I pause today on chapter 16:30-31, ". . . 'What must I do to be saved?' and they said, 'Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved . . .'"


The Bible is full of ancient stories that can be hard to relate, poetry that is hard understand, and teachings that can be confusing and complicated.  But, every now and then the Bible gives us a moment of beautiful simplicity and clarity.  Acts 16:30-31 is one such moment.  My natural inclination is to take this straightforward answer "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved" and place it in the larger context of what it means to be a Christian and how you experience salvation.  There are a tremendous amount of healthy debates swirling around the blogosphere regarding salvation.  We will forever try to wrap our human minds around the ways of our holy God, and I'm not implying that we should stop.  I think we must continue to send our roots down deeper and deeper into our faith through careful Bible study and debate.  However, let us always return to this beautiful moment in Acts 16, when a desperate man approaches a Christian and says, "What must I do to be saved?" and the Christian's answer rings with clarity and simple truth.

May I never lose sight of the extraordinary accessibility that God has offered to humanity through faith in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment