Wednesday, February 15, 2012

bored to death

Acts 18-20 continues the account of Paul's missionary activity.  In 20:7-12 we have the story of Paul preaching into the late hours of the night in a third story room when a young man sitting by a window falls asleep, falls out the window, and dies . . . Paul rushes downstairs and restores his life.

I love this story.  Not even the great apostle Paul can keep everyone awake during a sermon.  Stories like this one bring some humanity, humor, and bizarreness to otherwise seemingly hyper-spiritual characters.

While it is unhealthy to compare myself to other people, especially the apostle Paul, at times as I read about his incredible witness for Christ I can't help but think, I wish I could be more like Paul.  And then I read this little nugget and it grounds me.  At times Paul bored his audience to death.  Maybe I should focus on being me and let Paul be Paul.  I certainly don't want to bore people to death (especially since I seriously doubt I could bring them back to life).

May I not take myself too seriously, and embrace the bizarre moments that arise in a life of following Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment