Tuesday, February 14, 2012

this people's heart has grown dull

As I read through The Gospel of Matthew I continue to see a progression presented by Matthew:
prep1-4-->teaching5-7-->miracles8-9-->resistance10-12-->parables13-14

In chapter 12 the religious leaders attributed Jesus' miracles to Satan, and in chapter 13 Jesus changes up his style and switches to teaching in parables.  The disciples seem concerned by this change and ask Jesus why he would speak in such a confusing way, and Jesus answers, "because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand."  Then he quotes the prophet Isaiah, "You will indeed hear but never understand, and you will indeed see but never perceive. For this people's heart has grown dull . . . "  It seems like Jesus is saying that because their hearts have grown dull, I will speak in a such a way that the true message evades them.

I am not sure what to do with this concept . . . along with the disciples I question Jesus' strategy.  But God never has and never will need my approval for his dealings with humanity.  I suppose my take away from this section is: may my heart never grow dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment