Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A few observations from Exodus and Leviticus

I got a little behind in my Bible reading plan, and so I just finished reading from Exodus 16-Leviticus 7.  wow.  I'll lay it out here in a broad brush stroke:
Twice the Israelites complain-->Twice God provides-->God wins a battle--> God descends in a cloud-->10 commandments-->LOTS of details on laws, sacrifices, and how to build the Tabernacle (God's dwelling)--> Israelites start worshipping a gold cow-->God destroys many Israelites--> laws and sacrifices renewed-->Israelites build the Tabernacle-->more regulations for sacrifices.

A few observations:
God is holy.
The majority of the verses in this section are focused on the special way they are expected to live in light of the fact that God is in their midst.  I'm not going to lie--these verses initially strike me as dry, antiquated, and confusing; but they clearly communicate that God is not to be dealt with flippantly.

God is faithful and forgiving.
Twice in this section the Israelites complain and twice God meets their need.  Right after that God descends on a mountain in a breathtaking scene witnessed by everyone, but within a short time everyone (except Moses and Joshua) has decided to forget God.  They go to Aaron and together they build an idol and begin worshipping it through all kinds of pagan rituals.  God judges them, forgives them and continues to be faithful to them (bread from heaven every day for 40 years and His presence in a cloud guiding them throughout their journey).  Aaron and his sons go on to become the high priests of Israel.

God hates idolatry.
The first 2 commandments are "Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make for thyself any idol" (I paraphrased from memory and weaved in some good old King James language).  When the Israelites made the golden calf idol, God's judgment on them is severe, Ex 32:27.

A few applications:
God is holy.  May I not deal with him flippantly.
God is faithful and forgiving.  May I extend the same faithfulness and forgiveness to others that God in Jesus has shown me.
God hates idolatry. May I carefully and intentionally prioritize my life so that God is at the center and nothing else.

(as a side note--the Tabernacle was a seriously bloody place and the priests were more like modern day butchers than modern day pastors)


No comments:

Post a Comment