Friday, March 9, 2012

the road to rome

I just finished Acts and started on Romans--talk about a change in gears, I am dealing with a little whiplash.  But I was struck by how Paul opens up his letter to the Romans by telling them how he has always longed to be with them.  Having just finished the book of Acts, and seeing that he finally makes it to Rome is neat. God gave Paul the desires of his heart, but you have to wonder if Paul saw it that way as he sat in jail and trials for years in the process of getting to Rome.

Back in Acts 21:11-14, Paul is warned that if he continues to Jerusalem he will be arrested.  Paul hears their warning and boldly says, "I am ready to not only be imprisoned but even die . . . let the will of the Lord be done."  The rest of the book is about Paul going from one trial to the next until it ends with him in  Rome.  The last verse of Acts is 28:31, (he lived in Rome) "proclaiming the kingdom of God and teaching about the Lord Jesus Christ with all boldness and without hindrance."  


Paul always wanted to be with the Romans, and God made a way for him to finish out his life in Rome sharing the gospel with all boldness and without hindrance.  The only catch is, he had to go through years of jail and trials before he got there.

I enjoy seeing how God worked everything out in Paul's life.  It gives me some comfort that God is working things out in my life as well.

I am challenged by how Paul served God regardless of the circumstance--being in jail or free, shipwrecked on an island or standing before a judge, in Rome or in Jerusalem.  May I do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment