Thursday, March 1, 2012

more than words . . . I hope

Matthew 18-20 is loaded with good stuff, but I will pick just one nugget to highlight.  One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Matthew 20:28, "even as the Son of Man came not to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
If anyone ever deserved to be served it would be Jesus.  The king chooses to give it all up to serve those in his kingdom.  He steps down from his throne and puts on poor mens clothes.  He has no home in which to sleep, and spends his days serving those around him.
If a life defined by serving others was good enough for Jesus, then it is good enough for me.
While this sounds good and I like to say it . . . to live a life of serving others is humbling, inconvenient, uncomfortable, difficult, painful, and the list could go on and on.  Jesus' life ended when he sacrificed his life in the greatest act of service imaginable.  His death paid the ransom that freed our souls.
May I do more today than merely talk about a life of service . . .

2 comments:

  1. It is so honorable that you want to serve, Matt.

    Would you bring me a pizza with extra tomato?

    Debbie B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, because it is stupid to put tomatoes on a pizza

    ReplyDelete