Wednesday, July 18, 2012

fast food

I am a little behind pace in my plan to read through the Bible in a year, but I am catching up :) I am reading big chunks of Samuel, Kings, and Chronicles--taking in the ancient history of Israel.  I plan on writing some thoughts soon, but in the meantime I couldn't pass up this little gem.

In I Samuel 28 King Saul is visiting a medium to talk with the prophet Samuel, who is dead.  After Saul chats with dead Samuel, the medium offers Saul and his servants some food before they go.  I Samuel 28:24, "The woman had a fattened calf at her house, and she quickly slaughtered it.  She also took flour, kneaded it, and baked unleavened bread." What grabbed my attention was the word, "quickly".

You know you are reading about a foreign culture when fast-food, entails a quick slaughter; followed by kneading flour to make the bread from scratch.  Nothing spiritual about this thought today, I just wonder how Saul would have reacted to a drive-thru window in a rush.  And I wonder how I would have reacted to a quick slaughter of a calf if I were in a rush.

Sometimes I forget how disconnected I am from the culture of these stories, and I am so shallow that the concept of fast-food triggers my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment