Friday, January 11, 2013

Is it God's fault or my fault?

I recently read Romans 6.

I have been a christian for many years, but I still regularly forget how this whole christian living thing works. I understand that there is a balance to it all: reliance on God and personal responsibility.

Some Christians live a poor example of the christian life and blame it on God; they ask for God's help to overcome their greed, and then when the IRS audits them for cheating on their taxes they blame God for not keeping them from their greed.

Some Christians live a poor example of the christian life and blame it on themselves; they try as hard as they can every day to overcome their greed, and then when the IRS audits them for cheating on their taxes they blame themselves for their greed---if only I could have tried harder.

So what is the balance . . .

Romans 6:11 says, "consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus" So we are to have the attitude that sin has no power over us. We should live with confidence in full reliance upon Christ. Greed will not have power over me today because I am dead to sin and alive in Christ.
BUT
Romans 6:12 says, "Do not let sin reign in your mortal body" 6:13, "Do not offer any part of yourself to sin" So we can't just sit back and be lazy. Those are specific instructions--twice it says "DO NOT" Greed will not have power over me today because through the power of Christ I will resist greed.

So today I will rely on God AND take personal responsibility.

Ill let you know how it goes :)


No comments:

Post a Comment