Sunday, May 29, 2011

suffering

"For as we share abundantly in Christ’s sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too." II Corinthians 1:5


My last post dealt with the seeming contradiction in the teachings of Jesus--that life with him is easy yet difficult.  II Cor 1:5 helped me make sense of the seeming contradiction.  It is both--as we suffer the costs of following Jesus, he comforts and carries our burdens.


But I still have one growing concern.  As I look at my pleasant, middle-class life with all its comforts and safety I struggle to relate to "sharing abundantly in Christ's suffering."  I feel God's blessings and comfort all too well.  I was raised in a loving home. I have been blessed with the best wife imaginable.  I have been given a beautiful daughter.  I have supportive friends.  God is meeting my needs.  I feel his comfort all too well.


God give me the boldness to live a life for you that is costly.  A life of sacrifice--a life of self-denial--a life that shares abundantly in your sufferings.

No comments:

Post a Comment